Saturday, March 12, 2011

Chrome A more developer friendly browser

                   I support Mozilla firefox a lot because it is an open-source web-browser. Not saying that it is not good but Chrome is also good. There are many factors where Chrome beats firefox as a better browser. One of those aspects is how easy it is for developers to create new add-ons. Lets face it, The features in built in a browser are never enough for us. Most of us are using some or the other add-on. Thus, making it easy for developers to make new applications makes your browser tick more because you don't know how imaginative/innovative the developers are.
                  Chrome beats Mozilla hands down in this aspect. Mozilla has several add-ons but Chrome has better(thanks to Google) and more in number. The second point is because of the number of developers.
This year, as a part of my ACM project I thought of making some cool Mozilla add-on as I had never used Chrome before.But, while going through the tutorial , I was unable to complete even the sample add-on. After trying for 2-3 times more I gave up on it and eventually moved on and made a windows mobile application.
In December 2010, Google launched the chrome web-store and had a big event. So, I thought of trying out the browser and Wow! how great the feeling was when I went to the link for the webstore. It was full of amazing extensions and so many of them! After using it for a month or so, I got curious and wanted to make one extension for myself. So i went to the google code page for tutorials and found it ridiculously easy compared to the Firefox tutorial(Again thanks to Google).
                I went through different examples and within a week I had my first application ready!Now I have made another simple extension for searching the same term in different search engines and believe me it was very easy to make.No fuss of making several folders for manifest , chrome and xul. Just one folder and you are set.
              I would request the Mozilla people to make the add-on making process a little easier for developers.


No comments:

Post a Comment